Monday, February 21, 2005

What is a "Non-Profit Owned" Real Estate Brokerage?

There aren't any new listings today, so I thought I might tell you a bit about Community Realty.

Community Realty is the nation's first non-profit owned real estate brokerage. What that means is that no one person owns Community Realty. There is no "boss" who sits back and gets rich from all of the profits we generate. Instead, Community Realty donates is profits to the local affordable housing non-profit, EmPOWERment, Inc., who owns us.

Last year, we gave away more than $25,000. This year our goal is to double that number.

As a REALTOR, I get paid the same as any other REALTOR-but with Community Realty, I get the benefit of knowing that I am not just helping people find homes. I am able to help people help their community. That may sound corny, but it really does make the difference at the end of the day.